Tuesday, December 14, 2010

THANK YOU.

It's been a long journey. While I wrote this for our son, I kept it public because I hoped it helped those thinking about adoption, in process for adoption or those families navigating through the first year as a family. I have read many adoption blogs. I remember logging on to read about the referral days and imagining that one day that would be us, and yet that day sometimes seemed so very far away. Then I logged on to read about the families traveling to their children and being united on their Gotcha Days. I imagined that one day that would be us, and yet again that day sometimes seemed so very far away. I logged on to read about the first days home, the grieving, the sleeping, the eventual bonding and shed some tears watching all these families grow through the miracle of adoption. I may not have commented much, but I read and I have learned, and I will continue to follow many of you.
The past few years has taught me so much. One of the most important lessons in our quest to make another child ours, is that neither of our children actually belong to us. They are their own person. It's our job to help these little people grow to be strong, safe, secure, confident, loved and independent enough to pursue their dreams. If the day comes that our son decides it is a dream to find his birth family, I pray that we as parents feel confident enough, and strong enough, to support that dream.
The adoption journey does not end with finalization. It is a way of life. Our son may have questions, and insecurities that our daughter will not face. We have made a promise that we will always do our best and always love our son. And like most parents (adoptive and biological) I pray we don't screw it up.

I knew this blog would end one day. Two blogs and two kids are a lot to maintain. I have decided to merge both my children's blogs into one family blog. I hate to say goodbye, as I know the disappointment I have felt, when the families I followed have abruptly come to an end. If you would like an invite (my future blog will be private) please e-mail me at mdev57 @ hotmail dot com (subject blog invite) or leave your e-mail in the comments.
If you are reading because you are struggling with building your family, I hope you come to peace with your struggles. I also hope you find the family and the happiness you dream of having one day.


For now I say goodbye and thank you for reading, sharing, and celebrating with us. I am ending with a little Robert Frost. Yes, I am well aware that this is a little over the top dramatic. I am simply ending a blog, not winning an Oscar... but it's a beautiful poem with a beautiful sentiment, and well... it's my blog so I'll end it anyway I choose.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost


6 comments:

Susan said...

Marcie - would love to follow your family blog!! Love your post! I hope you know how much joy Kalvis' blog has brought to us - and how much it inspired us while we were waiting. We consider ourselves truly blessed to have met you and Imants at PIP class!

Email address is susanthomas04@aol.com

Linda Devlin said...

Oh Beautiful, Marcie... you made me cry at work..again :)
we are blessed with our grandaughters and our special little grandson, no matter what the road was that lead us to this point :)
love, mom

Anonymous said...

Good Lord girl, you made me cry at my desk again. No one does it like you!!!!
I am so very happy for all of you.
I would love to keep following your adventures.
cfox@bogen.com
CFoxfsf@aol.com

Merry Christmas!!!

Somjam said...

Wow Marcie, You make me cry and yet so happy at the same time! Just beautifully written and I love LOVE the picture! You are so talented and I look forward to reading your family blog!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Marcie for sharing your family's amazing and wonderful adoption experience within the past 2.5 years. It has been a tremendous joy logging onto your blogs (x2). You have an amazing talent in writing and photography. Amazing. Thank you. We look forward to the new blog.
=Velta

Anonymous said...

Marcie, finally found your blog address again and caught up on the last few months - now I see you're moving on.So happy for you all.
It was heart warming and wonderful to follow your lives these past months.
My email address: igulens@gmx.de