Monday, December 8, 2008

We are ok for now. Our agency sends out a monthly newsletter, and according to the month of December, we are still within the same timeframe we've had since the beginning. This means a match in mid to late summer. Hopefully. I won't be surprised if things change though. Korea is working very hard towards making adoption more culturally acceptable, in the hopes that they will no longer be needing to place children internationally. 2012 is the estimated date that international adoption will end in Korea. One of their steps towards reaching this goal is reducing the number of international referrals each year. There is a possibility that this will make our timeframe a bit longer.
Nothing we can do about it. We just need to remind ourselves, that while this wait can be difficult, frustrating and emotionally tolling; it is temporary. A drop in the bucket compared to the lifelong family we are building.

In unrelated news, Christmas is right around the corner. I hope you are all enjoying the season. I've included a picture of our Christmas tree.

3 comments:

The Woodgetts said...

Your tree is beautiful! I pray 2009 will bring you good news of a new baby and that your time frame won't change. You guys will be amazing parents to a new baby and I can't wait for that day to get here!!!!!!

E said...

Your tree looks great:)

I would think that it will take some time to change the cultural mindset in Korea towards adoption...I'm only assuming from your post that it's not the same as domestic adoption is here. Anyway, that doesn't happen overnight. I'm thinking that it wouldn't likely affect your referral date...which is right around the corner! Of course, I don't know much about the int'l adoption process, but I'm so hoping I'm totally right on this one:)

Corey and Steve said...

Well, that was a relief! We're keeping our fingers crossed here that my little nephew (or niece!) will be here to see next year's Liepins' Christmas tree.