Friday, August 14, 2009

I remember when our daughter was in the NICU. People came from out of nowhere to support us. Of course friends and family were there for us, but then word began to spread. Suddenly we were hearing from people we hadn't heard from in YEARS! Some friends, some complete strangers. This one told that one, who told someone else and suddenly prayer chains spread across the country. I believe my mom's Chinese friend even told his family in China. It was heartwarming, and awe inspiring. My sister's class cheered with every gained ounce. Everyone cheered with her homecoming.
Here we are almost 4 years later. Friends, family, acquaintances, strangers.... all supporting us again. Cheering us on. Praying for us. Waiting with us to celebrate another homecoming. We are blessed beyond words. The wait is bearable when you know you aren't waiting alone.

I received an e-mail from a childhood friend. She found a poem and thought of our family.

KISSES IN THE WIND (The Waiting Child's Lullabye)

I hold you in my heart and touch you in my dreams.
You are here each day with me, at least that's how it seems.

I know you wonder where we are... what's taking us so long.
But remember child, I love you so and God will keep you strong.

Now go outside and feel the breeze and let it touch your skin...
Because tonight, just as always, I blow you kisses in the wind.

May God hold you in His hand until I can be with you.
I promise you, my darling, I'm doing all that I can do.

Very soon, you'll have a family for real, not just pretend.
But for tonight, just as always, I blow you kisses in the wind.

May God wrap you in His arms and hold you very tight.
And let the angels bring the kisses that I send to you each night.

--- © Pamela Durkota, written for Josh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem. I'm so glad to hear your support staff is behind you as am I! Not long now :)

Jill said...

What a sweet and beautiful poem! I also love the support of the adoptive community. I think we all know how tiring and daunting the wait can bring, along with all it's wondrous joys! I cannot wait to see that sweet baby in your arms!